Al Joseph grew up listening to the great masters of legato guitar playing: Joe Satriani, John Petrucci, Marco Sfogli… He has put together a video lesson to help you develop the technique and incorporate it into your playing.
Some key tips about legato playing from Al Joseph: :
- Keep the fingers as close as possible to the fretboard.
- Concentrate on relaxing: do not tense up.
- Play at a speed you are comfortable with. Do not try to run before you can walk, especially if it affects the quality of the execution.
- Be patient where technique is concerned: playing slowly enables muscle-memory to better develop.
- View practice as a way of developing your endurance for playing on stage, for example.
- Try to attack each note in the same way (avoid triple-time feel).
Please feel free to leave your comments in the video’s description. Al will be happy to answer your questions.
Al Joseph is preparing a series of legato practice pieces for download, in tablature. So stay logged in for the next lesson. Good practising! 🙂
Al Joseph’s Links